10 Fun Facts About Turkeys:
With FREE BIRDS hitting Blu-ray and DVD on February 4, the folks at 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment have compiled a list of 10 Turkey Facts that you may not know. Ready for a lesson?
1. Turkeys need to be trained to eat. In order for turkeys to reach their biggest size, they must be taught to eat small meals throughout the day, instead of their natural routine of consistently gorging themselves on food.
2. A turkey’s snood (red thing attached to the beak) serves no functional purpose.
3. A turkey’s gobble can be heard from a mile away. Talk about a loud mouth!
4. Young turkeys are called “poults.”
5. Turkeys were domesticated by Native Americans in pre-Columbian Mexico, more than 500 years ago. They arrived in Spain in 1519 and quickly spread to the rest of Europe.
6. Turkeys prefer to sleep in trees. They do this as a way of avoiding predators in the wild.
7. Female turkeys (hens) do not gobble. Instead, they communicate through low-chirps and clicking noises.
8. Wild turkeys can fly. They are actually quite fast, reaching speeds as fast as 55mph.
9. Turkeys can blush. This usually takes place when they are frightened, agitated, excited, or ill. And here we thought they were just bashful!
10. A turkey’s stomach has a container called the gizzard. It contains small stones the turkey has swallowed which help aid with breaking down food for digestion, since the birds do not have teeth.
Can't wait to see if you've won? Pre-order FREE BIRDS now through (my affiliate), Amazon:
Enter to win a copy of FREE BIRDS on Blu-Ray:
Use the Rafflecopter Widget below (it will guide you), starting with the first (mandatory) entry method - Scroll down and Leave a comment that shares your answer to the following: Pizza, Turkey or Turkey Pizza? (If you're a vegetarian, that's cool, too). After that, you can complete social actions for additional, completely optional entries. Please Note: By entering giveaways on The Rock Father, you agree to comply with my fairness policy.
The Fine Print: Promotion open to residents of the U.S. only, ages 18+, void where prohibited. Winner will be chosen on, about, or after February 8, 2014, and will be notified via email to obtain their shipping address. If no response within 24 hours, an alternate winner will be chosen. Shipping address must be a street address - no P.O. Boxes. Prize provided by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment and shipped by Think Jam. Good Luck!
1980s-style Disclaimer: Many will enter, few will win! Please allow 8-12 weeks for delivery of prizing (seriously, probably not that long), The Rock Father is not responsible for shipping or any lost or misdirected packages. In the rare occasion that a prize does not arrive (which, sadly, has happened), you have no remedy other than moving on.