- A previously-unreleased music video for STONE TEMPLE PILOTS' Cinnamon has surfaced on YouTube. The clip was shot in early 2010 but scrapped in favor of another director's vision later that year.
- NAPALM DEATH have released a video of frontman Mark "Barney" Greenway discussing the Occupy Movement and the associated riots. Their new album UTILITARIAN arrives on February 28 via Century Media Records.
- You can snag a FREE DOWNLOAD of the SCISSOR SISTERS' remix of SCHOOL OF SEVEN BELLS' Lafaye via this link.
- The revamped power-pop outfit OFF BROADWAY USA featuring JOHN IVAN and JOHN PAZDAN recently hit the studio to re-record some classic tracks with their new lineup. The first one to hit the web is Automatic, and can be streamed on Soundcloud. Stay in time with the band on their official Facebook page.
- ILL NINO will enter the studio next month to record their sixth full-length album, and their second for Chicago-based Victory Records. Frontman Cristian Machado commented, "It's 2012 & we're all still alive. It’s time to redefine Latin metal.”
- CROOKED FINGERS have released a video for Our New Favorite. The song appears on their MERGE Records release BREAKS IN THE ARMOR, which is out now.
- Moscow-based MAN BITES DOG have released their first U.S. single with Whispers in my Mind.
- BAND OF SKULLS have released a music video for Sweet Sour. Their new album hits retailers this Tuesday via Vagrant Records.
- MYCHILDREN MYBRIDE have released a new lyric video for "On Wings of Integrity Pt. 2," the first single off the band's self-titled album, available online and in stores everywhere March 13 via Solid State Records.
- RIVAL SONS will enter the studio later this month to record the follow-up to last year's PRESSURE AND TIME. The album will surface later this year via Earache Records.
- ESCAPE THE FATE and ATTACK ATTACK will co-headline the THIS WORLD IS OURS TOUR with support from THE WORD ALIVE, MEST, and SECRETS. Tickets just went on-sale for the trek which begins on April 5.
- Listen to ANDREW W.K. and the WSC Band doing a song for the WORLD SNOWBOARDING CHAMPIONSHIPS over at AOL Noisecreep.
- Chicago's THE AUDITION are self-releasing their new EP called CHAPTER II this Tuesday, and Alternative Press has a new track called You Make Me Sick.
- LORDS OF ACID will release their new album called DEEP CHILLS on April 10 via Metropolis Records.
- TINY VICTORIES are streaming a new song called Gravitron on Soundcloud.
- The documentary BAD BRAINS: BAND IN DC will premiere at the SXSW film festival next month. Details here.
- RAP - CHILDISH GAMBINO aka Donald Glover has released a video for his track Heartbeat.
- NEON TREES will release a new album called PICTURE SHOW on April 17th, and a video teaser can be seen here.
- BLACK BREATH are streaming a new song called Mother Abyss on Soundcloud.
- ATTIKA 7 featuring Evan Seinfeld (ex-Biohazard), Rusty Coones, Tony Campos (Static-X, Ministry, Prong), and touring/studio drummers including Austin D’Amond (Chimaira, Bleed The Sky), Dustin Shoenhofer (Walls of Jericho/Bury Your Dead), and Devin Lebsack, has signed a deal with THC : MUSIC/Rocket Science Ventures/RED, who will release the band’s debut LP in North America this summer.Would you like to see a video of David Lee Roth interviewing the VAN HALEN brothers? If so, click here.
- DESIGN THE SKYLINE have announced a headline tour. Dates on Facebook.
- Atlanta's ROYAL THUNDER have completed recording their debut album, CVI. The album will be released on CD/2xLP/Digital on May 22 via Relapse Records
- CLUTCH will finally release their special edition BLAST TYRANT vinyl set on February 28th. Get one here.
- IMPENDING DOOM have released some studio footage from the sessions for their upcoming eOne release. Watch it here.
- IWRESTLEDABEARONCE are joining the 2012 Vans Warped Tour.
- BORKNAGAR are streaming a track called Roots over at Decibel. These guys sound like arrogant fools in the quotes that arrive with every press release.
- MATT TOKA has released an acoustic cover of the T-PAIN song 5 O'Clock.
- THE DILLINGER ESCAPE PLAN have released a video for Parasitic Twins.
- MOTHER FALCON have released a video for Just to See Her Smile.
- UNSANE are streaming a new track called No Chance over at Pitchfork, and it's well-worth a listen.
The Random Rock: Updates on over 30 Bands and Artists for February 12, 2012Written by James Zahn
While all content is editorially chosen, articles may contain affiliate links which may generate revenue for the site when a purchase is made.
If you enjoyed The Random Rock columns when I was doing them for Kik Axe Music, then you'll be pleased to know that they'll be continuing here on The Rock Father™. The concept is simple: There's just too much news for just one site to handle, so we compile bite-sized headlines on a few dozen bands and artists into one post. If you want to learn more, we'll tell you where to go. As the title implies, this really is random rock. Heavy metal, radio rock, punk, indie rock, ska, mainstrem, black metal, grindcore... if it's part of rock, then it's probably here, but you might find some other genres dropped in as well.
- The Random Rock
- Century Media Records
- Napalm Death
- Stone Temple Pilots
- Band of Skulls
- Crooked Fingers
- Ill Nino
- Man Bites Dog
- Vagrant Records
- Victory Records
- MYCHILDREN MYBRIDE
- Solid State Records
- Rival Sons
- Earache Records
- THC: Music
- Rocket Science Ventures
- ATTIKA 7
- Design the Skyline
- Royal Thunder
- Relapse Records
- Matt Toka
- Impending Doom
- The Dillinger Escape Plan
James Zahn is best-known as The Rock Father™, a media personality, commentator, adventurer and raconteur. He is the Owner, Publisher, and Editor-in-Chief of THE ROCK FATHER™ Magazine. In January, 2019, after nearly a decade of publishing The Rock Father™ Magazine, he joined Adventure Media and Events as Senior Editor of The Toy Book—the leading trade publication for the toy industry since 1984, as well as The Pop Insider — a destination for all things pop culture, and The Toy Insider — the leading consumer guide for toys and games. He is also editor of The Toy Report, a weekly newsletter published by The Toy Book each Thursday. Zahn has over 27 years of experience in the entertainment, retail and publishing industries.
He regularly serves as a Brand Ambassador and spokesperson for several Globally-recognized pop culture and lifestyle brands in addition to consulting for a number of toy manufacturers.
Creatively, James has directed/edited music videos, lyric videos, and album trailers for bands such as FEAR FACTORY, has appeared as an actor in feature films and commercials, written comic books, and performed in bands. He currently serves as an artist manager and video director for PRODUCT OF HATE, whose debut album was released by Napalm Records in 2016, distributed by ADA/Warner Music in the U.S. with Universal Music handling global. A new album has been completed and is set for release this year.
Zahn and/or his work have been featured in/on CNN, NBC, ABC, WGN, CBS, GCTN, G4, The Chicago Tribune, Forbes, MarketWatch, Reuters, BusinessWire, Fangoria, Starlog and more. He's appeared as a music expert on CNN's AC360 alongside Anderson Cooper, and has been interviewed by Larry King. In the past he served as a writer for the Netflix Stream Team, Fandango Family and PBS KIDS, penned articles for Sprout and PopSugar, and was a contributor to Chicago Parent.
Learn more here.