- A VERY MURRAY CHRISTMAS (2015): Yes, Bill Murray comes together with half of Hollywood for a 2015 version of what a classic Holiday Special would be - if it were made today, and it was. George Clooney has a fantastic number in this one, as does Miley Cyrus.
- I AM SANTA CLAUS (2014): DO NOT WATCH THIS ONE WITH THE KIDS. This documentary hosted by Christmas-obsessed WWE Hall of Famer Mick Foley is a fascinating and entertaining look at various people who play Santa Claus. Again, DO NOT LET THE KIDS WATCH THIS!
- Irving Berlin's WHITE CHRISTMAS (1954): Until the 1996 Holiday Classic JINGLE ALL THE WAY came along to de-throne it, WHITE CHRISTMAS was my favorite Holiday movie. While it's #2 behind JINGLE ALL THE WAY these days, Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye had it going on back then. Truly timeless.
- Pee-wee's PLAYHOUSE Christmas Special (1988): Since we won't see the Netflix Original Movie, Pee-wee's BIG HOLIDAY until next year, it's time to revisit the Playhouse for some vintage wackiness.
- THOMAS & FRIENDS: SANTA'S LITTLE ENGINE (2013): All these years later, I'm still banned from commenting on the Thomas & Friends Facebook Page (yes, really) for saying the "Sir Topham Hatt is a figure designed to teach children to blindly follow authority" on a comment thread. Still, The Rock Daughters have grown to love Thomas to an extent, and there's a few Holiday movies on Netflix this year, including this one.
- MY LITTLE PONY - A VERY MINTY CHRISTMAS (2005): I reviewed this one last year, and the kids still love it - an MLP Christmas adventure from a time long before FRIENDSHIP IS MAGIC hit the scene and changed the course of Hasbro's ponies forever.
- LOVE ACTUALLY (2003): My wife loves this movie.
- BAD SANTA (2003): I love this movie.
- DreamWorks HOLIDAY CLASSICS (2012): A fun collection of Holiday episodes featuring characters from MADAGASCAR, HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON and SHREK.
- MacGyver -"The Madonna" (1989 - Season 5, Episode 11): If KNIGHT RIDER was still on Netflix, I'd direct you toward that Xmas episode - but instead, try this 80s gem from MacGyver.
- Saban's POWER RANGERS MEGAFORCE: ROBOKNIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS (2013)
- Fireplace for Your Home: Ah, the classic yule log! Years ago, they'd run a flaming log on television to close out the later hours of Christmas Eve and Christmas. Then came DVD, and you could buy one and run it on loop (something I actually did). Now comes Netflix with the streaming Fireplace for Your Home. We don't have a real fireplace, so this will do. It has some generic Holiday Music as a soundtrack, but I prefer to put it on mute and play some tunes from somewhere else. Really warms my office.
Enter to Win a Six Month Subscription to Netflix:
Use the Rafflecopter Widget below (it will guide you), starting with the first (mandatory) entry method - Leave a Disqus comment on this post that shares your answer to the following:
QUESTION: What is your favorite Holiday Movie, Special, or TV Episode?
After that, you can complete social actions for additional, completely optional entries. Please Note: By entering giveaways on The Rock Father, you agree to comply with my fairness policy.
The Fine Print:
Promotion open to residents of the U.S. only, ages 18+, void where prohibited. Winner will be chosen on, about, or after December 17, 2015, and will be notified via email to confirm. If no response within 24 hours, an alternate winner will be chosen. Prize provided and shipped by Netflix.
1980s-style Disclaimer: Many will enter, few will win! Please allow 8-12 weeks for delivery of prizing (seriously, probably not that long), The Rock Father is not responsible for any lost or misdirected packages. In the rare occasion that a prize does not arrive (which, sadly, has happened), you have no remedy other than moving on.