Having owned a lot of labelmakers over the years, they always look more intimidating than they are - packing a ton of buttons and a good-sized manual. The Epson LW-300 is pretty easy-to-use, with a decent font selection and an assortment of cute and useful icons available. The kit (which comes in a helpful carrying case for storage) includes two cartridges of iron-on tape - great for clothing and other cloth goods, but you're gonna want to pick up some additional tapes in the adhesive varieties to label things like lunchboxes, plastics - anything that might melt under the heat of an iron. Also be careful with backpacks, as these heat-applied labels are great for cotton, polyester and blends - but could damage other materials. I was able to use our Epson LabeWorks labels on little Finley's PBS KIDS Backback from Whole Foods, but not Addie's Snoopy PEANUTS Backpack from Hanna Andersson (which has a write-on label inside).
Each label took seconds to apply using nothing more than our normal iron - with no water/steam. About 20-seconds each, and done. And for some of the items that both of our girls use? Two names...
Features (from Epson's spec sheet):
- Everything you need to create personalized iron-on labels — includes a LabelWorks LW-300 printer, 2 iron-on tape cartridges and an application guide
- Variety — 14 fonts, 10 styles, 300+ built-in symbols, over 75 frames and more
- Less waste — smaller lead margin compared to other brands, for up to 60% less lead margin waste
- Large built-in memory — store up to 30 self-created label designs
- Prints up to two lines of text — more space for you to add specialty frames or symbols to enhance your design
- Easy to apply — automatically printed with a split back for easy and fast peeling
- Whisper quiet — prints labels without distracting those around you
- Iron-on labels — durable, machine-washable iron-on labels can be applied to almost any fabric in just seconds
- Carrying case included — stores the LW-300 printer, two cartridges, six AAA-sized batteries (not included) and optional AC Adapter (not included)