Whether you'd like to call them "Dad Bloggers," "Daddy Bloggers," or just "Bloggers that happen to be Dads," there's a lot more men jumping into the "parenting" realm of the blogging world on a regular basis. While the mainstream media loves to toss headlines like "Year of the Dad Blogger!" (which I'm fairly sure has been used for the past three years, not counting the just-started 2013), there's a lot of interesting voices out there that are all working on building audiences for their unique and very personal writings. Last month, Oren Miller of A Blogger and a Father created a private Facebook Group to unite Dad Bloggers in one place to meet, mingle, swap stories, and cross-promote. This past week, The Rock Father joined the growing group.
With 80+ members as of this writing, there's a ton of great content being posted daily, and in the interest of introducing new readers to a selection of blogs from the group, Brent from Designer Daddy suggested that members share their favorite posts of 2012 and cross-post between their blogs and websites. With that, below you'll find some articles that were hand-picked for inclusion by their authors, along with my own post added to the list.
2012 Highlights from the Dad Bloggers Group:
- Father. Daughter. Big Wheel. Ruling the Neighborhood on Three Wheels... - James Zahn/The Rock Father
- Looking At My Boy – Oren Miller/A Blogger and a Father
- Gays, Muppets, Chicken + Jesus – Brent Almond/Designer Daddy
- Dear Hypothetically Gay Son – John Kinnear/Ask Your Dad Blog
- Why we have kids – Carter Gaddis/DadScribe
- Honoring Pearl Harbor – Rob Hatton
- Rianne's Birth Story - Ricky Shetty/Daddy Blogger
- Top 10 Phrases That Will Reduce a Parent To Tears – Dan Nessel/Dad Does
- “May Your Song Always Be Sung” – Bill Peebles/ihopeiwinatoaster
- Saying Goodbye To “Campa” – Matt Peregoy/The Real Matt Daddy
- The Upside of Timidity – Ramon E. Colon/Ray’s Blog
- “Dad, Does Our ‘Elf on the Shelf’ Have a Penis?” - Kyle James/Rather Be Shopping
- Biggest Legends of The West in One Photograph: Fake or Real? – Mike E. Henderson/The Gizzard Stone
- toys reflect our story - Vincent Daly/CuteMonster
- A Daddies First Miscarriage and the Feelings That Come With It – Keith Hancock/Daddyplace
- Raising Children Without A Father Of My Own – Chris Read/Canadian Dad
- Spider-Man, My Kids and the Kissing Episode – Andrew Kardon/Mommy’s Busy…Go Ask Daddy!
- On holding hands (a meditation on being a father) – Neal Call/Raised By My Daughter
- A Sublime Parenting Moment - James Austin/Luke, I am Your Father
- The Parenting Wars… Starring Legos – John Willey/Daddy’s In Charge?
- Who’s shoes to fill…. - Theron Bostic/Active Duty Dad
- Lighting the flame – Olly Du Croz/The P Word
- the intro… – Jeff Tepper/Ay yo, Be a Father
- Giving from the Heart - James Hudyma/Dads Round Table
- In Eulogy: The Father I Never Knew… And How That Pertains To You – Adam Dolgin/Fodder 4 Fathers
Is this new Dad Bloggers Group a force united for good like VOLTRON?
Or is it a force united for evil like the TRANSFORMERS' CONSTRUCTICONS' DEVASTATOR?
No matter which it turns out to be, it seems pretty bad-ass for now.
Are you a Dad Blogger? Hit this link to join the Dad Bloggers group on Facebook. Membership is currently by approval, so be sure to give Oren a little bit to get you in there (though he's usually pretty quick).
About James: A work-from-home Dad with a pair of daughters (Released in 2009 and 2012) - James Zahn is THE ROCK FATHER™.
Bringing over two decades of experience in the entertainment industry into the family realm, Zahn is an Illinois-based Entertainment Writer, Media Personality, Commentator, Adventurer and Raconteur.
Creatively, James has directed/edited music videos, lyric videos, and album trailers for bands such as FEAR FACTORY, has appeared as an actor in feature films and commercials, written comic books, and performed in bands. He currently serves as co-manager and video director for Napalm Records' PRODUCT OF HATE.
James and/or his work have been featured in/on CNN, NBC, G4, The Chicago Tribune, Blogcritics, Fangoria, Starlog, The River Cities' Reader. Slowfish, Oil, and more. He's appeared as a music expert on CNN's AC360, has been quoted in BusinessWire, CNN and Babble, in addition to making appearances on ABC News, WGN and more. In the past he served as a PBS KIDS VIP (Very Involved Parent), penned articles for Sprout, and was a contributor to Chicago Parent.
Learn more here.